Living Family History, Comparing Past and Present Generations.
Each one of us is living family history day by day.
To-day's family living is to-morrow's family history.
On this site we look at the Twentieth Century, the clothes we wore, the cars we drove and the fun we had. We will also look at our world as it is now in comparison.
Do you know that some of the commonplace things we used every day in 1950 are highly prized collector's items these days?
We will look at the 1940's and the 1950's and Living Family History will also look at today's lifestyle and some of the changes that influence us - for better or for worse.
Can you remember the 1940's when it always rained on the first day of school, when we all walked to school, rain or no rain, when we used to wind up the old H.M.V. Gramophone and play Spike Jones records at 78 r.p.m. Where is that old gramophone now?
Or what about the 1950's when we used to sit around the wireless listening to "Take it from Here" with Joy, Dick and Jimmy, or the "Goon Show" on Sunday night. Wouldn't miss it for quids!
Remember the Good Old Days when pies were sixpence or a glass of beer was a shilling? Don't even mention the price of cars and houses! Do you remember when everybody had a Lunch Hour and a Morning Tea Break, and the shops all closed at 5 o'clock?
Remember when we had the time of our lives at the School Fancy Dress Ball, and when teenagers actually danced together and talked to each other as they danced at the Saturday Night Hop?
What ever became of Telegram Boys, Office Boys and Typewriter Mechanics, or the girls in the typing pool. There's a whole generation out there now, that would guess, if asked, that a Golf Ball Typewriter was used to put the little brands and numbers on golf balls!
This is Living Family History. We will be looking at earlier times while they are still in living memory. Personal memories will reveal how things used to be, the good and the bad, and how we are now.
If you can remember the good old days, or would like to know how things used to be, then this site is for you, so have fun and enjoy your trip down memory lane.
Perhaps you would like to share some of the memories of your living family history with us?
You can visit the
and the 1950's and you can also catch up on ideas and information at Geoff's Blog
Please add your name here to join the SquawkAbout Contact List.
- Geoff's Blog
- Sometimes serious, sometimes humorous Geoff's Blog is a News Blog with a difference. It aims to present unusual and interesting snippets that don't always make the headlines. Subscribe here.
- Henry Francis, Gentleman of Cumberland Street
- Henry Francis, Gentleman of Cumberland Street, is a personal history of the descendants of Henry and Ruth Francis who arrived in Australia as free settlers in 1832.
- Site Directory and Index
- Site Directory and Index for Living-Family-History
- Living in the 1940s
- Living in Australia in the 1940s
- Simple Living 1940s Style
- Simple Living 1940's Style
- Life in the 1950s
- Activities and daily living in the 1950s
- Top cars of the 1950s
- Top cars and dream cars of the 1950s
- School Days
- School Days in the 1940s
- Service to Customers
- Personal Service, Odd Job Men and Home Deliveries.
- Communication by Letter and Telegram
- The changing art of communication from letters and telegrams to e-mails
- The Crocodile's Tale
- The strange tale of a crocodile from Crocs in Space
- The Snake's Tale
- Terrified Woman threatened with Snake by Road Rager
- About Me
- Some brief details about me, the author, and looking back to earlier times.
- Contact Us
- Contact us to leave your comments or have your say
- Australia Day 2009
- Australia Day 2009, how we celebrate and how the pioneers laid the foundation to our nation
- Recording Family History
- Recording Family History should include your living family history for future generations
- Pool Conversion - How to Replace a Pool with a Living Water Feature
- Pool Conversion - How to Replace a Pool with a Water Lily Pond
- Our pool to pond conversion revisited
- We revisit our pool to pond conversion to show you how it looks now
- Our ANZAC Soldiers ... Lest We Forget!
- As ANZAC day approaches we remember our ANZAC soldiers whose lives we celebrate each year on 25th April.
- Dare to Remember When - a Nostalga Trip
- Take yourself on a little nostalgia trip, dare to remember when ...
- Retirement Income ... Four Questions that Retirees Ask
- Retirement Income is a subject that worries most retirees. Can retirees make extra income
- Lake Eyre Comes to Life
- Water is flowing into Lake Eyre. An amazing transformation is starting to take place in Central Australia, as water flows in to Lake Eyre from flooding rain in North Queensland.
- Australian Tales and living now in Australia.
- Australian Tales about the bush and the beach. It's all about living now in Australia.
- The Global Recession is Upon Us
- How to Beat the Global Recession
- Outback Picnic Races
- Outback Picnic Races are great fun for all the family. It is easy to meet new friends among the friendly and relaxed people at the Picnic Races
- Musso the Magnificent Galah
- A tale about Musso the Magnificent, a Galah in Western Queemsland
- Dinosaur Bones Found
- Dinosaur Bones of a Dinosaur that roamed Western Queensland 93 million years ago have been discovered near Winton
- Battle City Brisbane 2009
- Brisbane became Battle City when Breakdancers invaded the 2009 Queensland Music Festival. Music lovers were shocked and amazed, but there was No Haydn when the Breakdance crews Battled for Festival s
- Record Floods in Western Queensland, 2010
- Massive damage from record floods in western Queensland in 2010 as some towns clean up others wait for the flood water to arrive
- The Family Ghost
- How the Family Ghost became part of one family's history with what some believe is a true ghost story
- Opal Fossicking in Outback Queensland
- Opal Fossicking where Australian Dinosaurs roamed near Winton in Outback Queensland
- 1950s Health - Health Care in the 1950s
- 1950s health: Half a century ago, most people lived long healthy lives without all the drugs and treatments that are considered essential these days.